Saturday, December 31, 2011

A year ago the earth was just about in the same position as it is right now in relation to the sun. But the planets, Poor Pluto, the asteroids, the comets, and even the space junk were configured totally differently. Our sun, bringing its satellites with it, revolved a bit more around the centre of our galaxy, the Milky Way, and the Milky Way danced its choreographed destiny with Andromeda and the other, somewhat near, galaxies. So really the earth is in a position today, at this writing that it has never been in before and never will be in again.

And of course our petty little measurement of 365 or so rotations that make up the one revolution are really pretty meaningless to any force of consequence in the universe , except of course to me, for I am the Centre of the Universe. Arrogance? Self Importance? Delusion? Not at all .... if the universe is infinite, if the power of the cosmos, the power of time are all infinite, then by default I am the centre. So are you. So is your friend, so is your enemy.

And if the power of God and God's majesty is infinite, I am at his / her centre. I find that very comforting. I can't explain God and I think that no religion can explain God. But I have no doubt that this power is there and on this last day of 2011 the calender, that is a very useful point of refection and gratitude that I can cling my mollusk like self to, and hang on for the ride.

I am thankful and grateful for so many things:
That I have a wife to share the journey with.
That I have a beagle and four cats that always add clarity
That I was able to share a friend's journey into cancer and share his joy at the words "Cancer Free"
That I was able to see another friend set sail on the MS Liberation
That I am employed with a moral and decent employer
That my cardiologist told me to "Get Out and Stay Out"
That I can huff and puff and pant as I try to run
That, despite my occasional misgivings, that we live in the most wonderful country on the planet and likely the best time in the history of the planet.
That I have old friends and new friends and Thursday Night Friends and Tuesday Night Friends and Running Friends
That my worries were mostly sown and nurtured by me and that I have the power to harvest and tie them in bundles and burn them at any time

My ride in 2011 was more than I deserved, it taught me, it nurtured me, it cradled me. I am thankful for all the grace that illuminated me and that I could bask in its warmth. I am in a spot now that I have never been in, and will never will be in again. That is comforting and that is frightening. But I am in nothing alone, and that is the best refection of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment