Sunday, January 23, 2011

In the Christian calendar Advent is the period or a time a time of expectant waiting and preparation. It comes the four weeks before Christmas and of course is used, ideally as a period of contemplation and preparation for whatever Christmas means to a person.
But for me January of 2010 (a year ago of course) was my time of anticipation. As the year started I was anticipating surgery on the 25th of January. I was trying to maintain an attitude of positive thinking and gratitude which I do think was there. In reflection a year later I can say that it was there positive thinking and gratitude there indeed but there was also a great deal of self-centred thinking there as well. In fact, on reflection, I think that SCT – self-centred thinking was the dominant theme that ran my brain.
So, a year later as I reflect on the Month of Anticipation I wonder SCT – Self-Centred Thinking , maybe it can be my contribution to the world … maybe, just maybe, I will get to be on the Dr. Chubby Guy with A Mustache Show (I am having a brain vacation here, I know that Dr. Oz is the guy my cardiologist can’t stand but I am thinking of the other guy)
On the airplane they always tell you to grab and don your oxygen mask before your child’s, your spouse’s, or anybody else’s: Why? Well, the answer is simple; if you are not breathing immediately after the catastrophic need to take emergency measures to do so, you are in deep, deep, deep, trouble. And you will not be able to help anyone else. Period.
So, if one is facing something, like open heart surgery you really have to put First Things First and practice SCT. SCT means:

1 -Acknowledging that you don’t have the Power
2-Accepting that you can cry
3-Accepting that you can laugh
4-Asking for help
5-Insisting on help
6-Being okay with dying
7-Planning on not dying
8-Losing embarrassment of anything to do with your body or body functions
9-Holding a cat for longer than he wants to be held
10-Walking the dog to the river when he would rather go up the road
11-Reading Anne of Green Gables and nor caring who knows
12-Saying no and meaning it
13-Laughing, giggling, guffawing, and not worrying when stuff come out your nose
14-Not worrying whenever stuff comes out your nose
15-Realizing the Plan and Blueprint are big and your part is no more or less important than any other
16-If the Universe and the Power are infinite then you are at the Centre of the Universe and at the Centre of the Power

Self Centred Thinking – SCT

(oh, the Dr. Chubby Guy with A Mustache Show would be Dr. Phil)

No comments:

Post a Comment