Saturday, June 11, 2011

I don’t know why I have strayed from blogging … maybe too much is going on and that is good but if this blog is the one thing that survives the future I had better update my history for the future anthropologists from three solar systems over.

The big news for me is that I had my cardiac checkup on May 30th. The cardiologist basically (in a nice and professional way of course) told me to “Get Out and Stay Out”. My blood flow is restored, the blood work is good, I am on the right meds, I am on the right path.

So I have been given a great gift. As I have stated in previous posts, the vast majority of people on the planet do not have access to this sort of surgery and for the vast, vast, history of humanity this surgery did not exist. My total out of pocket expense for this whole journey has been a couple of hundred bucks; parking and Tim Horton’s coffees and sandwiches. I take a daily baby aspirin, two beta blockers, a calcium blocker, and a statin. You need money to do this, or a drug plan and I am lucky enough to have both.

I have the time and ability to run or cycle or kayak. I have a stable job for a wonderful employer. I have a spiritual home in many places (Galilee Centre is just one) and at many times, although Thursdays do come to mind. And I come home to love with my wife of over a decade. And then there are a collection of 20 legs and 5 tails that challenge, sooth, and instruct every day.

So what do I do with this gift I have been given? I am mindful of the The Parable of the Bags of Gold in Matthew 25 (14 to 28 for those interested). Here is the quick version. Dude goes traveling and puts homeboys in charge of cash. Homeboy One and Homeboy Two invest cash in markets and provide returning dude with original investment plus bonus. Homeboy Three stuffed loot under mattress and returns it a bit sweaty but otherwise untarnished BUT no bonus, no interest, no nothing. The dude was , to out it mildly, pissed , in fact megapissed. Now I am no theologian, but I do not think that Jesus was advertising mutual funds. I think he was saying, if you have a gift, if it has been granted to you by the grace of a power greater than yourself.

Stay tuned on how I am investing the gift …..

No comments:

Post a Comment