Tuesday, April 27, 2010

We blog writers (or is it blog posters) are a self centered, petty, jealous lot that succumb to flights of fancy. At least I am. I don't really know how many people read this thing and I always say that I am writing this for my own record. And that is true for the most part, but at the same time I do have a bit of a fantasy that there is a secret army of thousands reading this and that Oprah is going to stumble upon it and I will be flown to Chicago where I will introduce "From the Heart" to millions and millions and it will be translated into all the Chinese dialects and I will become famous and rich and go on speaking tours.

I mention this because it makes me reluctant to introduce to my readers, bloggers who are better than me - I mean what if they get on Oprah and not me? But there is a blog I am compelled to pass on:

http://glenpearson.wordpress.com/

Mr. Pearson is a Liberal MP from London Ontario. (the MP for London North Centre). His blog "The Parallel Parliament" is a well written, intelligent, perspective on politics and government. Sure , he is a Liberal, and is at times partisan, but mildly and reasonably so.

Regular readers may recall that I often refer to the local MP where I live as the Woman Who Claims to be our Member of Parliament. In my own mind I regard that as a funny and sarcastic indictment of her. Maybe no one else may think that, but I will explain more on Oprah. Our MP is wildly popular but I find her troubling. She is no supporter of gay rights, equates abortion with beheadings by terrorists, and constantly plays the Big City / Big Money conspiracy card. She creates the illusion that forces of dark and evil require constant vigilance. I find it extremely distasteful and almost frightening. Some of the most evil regimes in history have played this card early in their ascents to power. I would be guilty of her sins if I continued to join the dots, but it is something that does pass through my mind.

That is why I find Mr. Pearson's writing so refreshing. He seems as opposite to the Woman Who Claims to be our Member of Parliament as can be. By the way ..... Mr. Pearson, should you ever read this, and should you make it to Oprah instead of me, any chance that you can get me her autograph?

No comments:

Post a Comment