Friday, July 29, 2011

Today was another cycling day with that 20.7 km route. It was warm and muggy and I was quite the little sweating piglet. I do believe that pigs are minimal sweaters, so maybe the comparison is not apt. But I was sweaty.
And,I would imagine that during a Camino walk there is a lot of sweating. Jimmy and Jesus and the other apostles would have would have sweated a lot doing their work. So what does the fact that I sweated make me think?
Well, it is funny that for me sweating is something worth mentioning. I rode, at least according to my fitness level, quite aggressively ; I worked and my flabby little thighs were almost burning. That is unusual for me because I have a cushy job where I either sit or drive or talk or listen or stare at a computer screen and once in a while type. Elevating my body temperature, increasing my respiration rate or my heart rate, having even slightly sore muscles, feeling fatigue, and even getting a callous (from paddling) are all so rare and unusual that I give it special names: Working Out, Exercise, Fitness
Jimmy would have thought it crazy that I would go to the trouble of doing all this stuff, he would have thought that I had won some kind of lottery that I did not have to toil and yet I did it anyway and then was proud of myself. And he would have no idea what I did for a living.
So what do I have in common with Jimmy? Well we both had fathers so that hardly counts. He fished, I look at a computer screen. He sweated sunrise to sundown and thought nothing of it. I sweat so infrequently that I consider a big deal. Jimmy was handpicked by Jesus for a mission and Jimmy signed up on the spot with no idea of what was going to happen. What made him out the big OKAY without thought of what he was getting into? Did he just know? Is that our connection? Is that a lesson coming out of a week of numbers?

No comments:

Post a Comment