Thursday, July 28, 2011

Well today Camino was on the water - a 5 kilometer swish of the Madawaska in my kayak. The sun was still shining high in the sky when I hit the water at 5:30 in the afternoon.
I was greeted by 3 large barking dogs at my launch landing - the dogs were loud but friendly and their owners seemed pleasant enough. There was a light wind and the river had more power boats than usual so I had to be mindful of them. When I paddle I feel superior to the fishing boats and ski boats. I think it is just pride, ego, and love of self that motivates that in me. I am certainly not superior in care or action on the environment - so into this Camino Stew goes the pride, ego, and love of self - funny how I cannot control the ingredients.

The walk is Camino@Galilee so being on the water makes me think of the Sea of Galilee. I have never been there and of course with modern water usage that freshwater lake is under a lot of pressure. But what would have Jimmy thought of the lake? It was he home - he certainly lived by the Sea of Galilee. He would have paddled and sailed the lake. He would have fished the lake. He would have seen calms and storms. He would have seen whitecaps and rainbows. He would have felt liberated by the water and at times he would have thought that he is a prisoner of the water. All of this experience was exactly what Jesus wanted on the resume. So what lessons can I learn from the water?

No comments:

Post a Comment