Thursday, March 18, 2010

It is 24 days since my quintuple bypass and I think that I trudge the road of happy recovery pretty well. Fatigue is still the main culprit in doing the victory lap. I had a full and good night’s sleep last night. Yet , this morning, after my walk, I took a 60 minute nap. I think it was in part because I had a busy day yesterday: I went to a St. Patrick’s Day Lunch at the Galilee Centre and then that night went to my Book Club. I am glad that I went to both (especially the lunch!) but they did tire me out. That does remind me of the power of the surgery. Fatigue is your friend – it tells you when to sit down or lie down and take a rest.

I go for two official walks a day of about 22 minutes each if I follow my chart. I don’t want to stray too far off the path but the cardiac surgeon did say the more the better so I usually sneak in a third walk. The weather is so gorgeous. The ice is out of the river for the most part and I an looking forward for the okay to go out in the kayak. There is little green anywhere (Mother Nature is wise) but the pussy willows are in full fur in some ditches. The chipmunks have woken up from their torpor and are given the red squirrels a bit of competition. The red winged blackbirds have returned but I have yet to see a robin. Yesterday there was a massive Pileated Woodpecker in the Valley trying to destroy a tree. It seems like all of nature has been directed to entertain me as I recover.

I was having a nap yesterday when the beagle, in full enthusiasm mode decided to jump on the bed via my chest. I took counter measures and he did not impact the sternum but I ended up having a bit of soreness that has luckily proved to be transient in nature. I still have to sit in the back seat during car rides. If the beagle travels, he gets the front seat. Once I get the okay to ride in the front it is going to be an interesting battle of the wills.

I am happy and content and full of gratitude and look forward to each dawn. That is how I feel 24 days into the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment