Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I must say that the universe worked well yesterday. The doctor who had a sick child was able to tend to that child. Yes, that did result in the cancellation of my operation, but an ill child is an ill child. The fear of the child and the fear of the parent had to be quenched and that is for the good of everybody.

Most of the surgery that was scheduled yesterday took place. Mine was cancelled. That raises the question:“Why me?” But it also raises the question: “Why not me?” Am I so special, important, unique, etc., etc., that I should be immune to even minor adversity?

Not getting something you want when you want it, is very empowering. It teaches, or reminds the dense like me, that I am not entitled to anything. Everything I have is a gift from others. I have done nothing to earn it. Freedom has been gifted to me and I frankly do little to keep it. I don’t worry when just about every business that I phone, cheerfully announces that “this call may be recorded”. I laud security cameras. I don’t even think about Gmail’s insertion of ads relevant to my topic (receive a message on snow shoeing and the sidebar ads will be on snowshoes) and assume they never keep that information. Of course the government does not read our emails and search for naughty phrases.

The delay yesterday helped me spiritually link up a little with the people in the world that get less than they deserve. That of course is most of the people on the planet. It is good for the over pampered and over indulged like me to make that linkage once in a while.

I am not suggested that what happened to me was good – it was not. But what am I going to do about it? Ask for more government spending on cardiac care? Am I going to write a letter? Am I going to publicly advocate the HST in Ontario to help pay for it? Am I going to support the University of Ottawa Heart Institute Telethon in March? Or am I going to do nothing? What a palette – Do Something or Do Nothing At All!

Not getting something you want when you want it, is very empowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment