Tuesday, February 2, 2010

So, the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador is off to the United States of America for heart surgery. The public does not know, as I write this, the nature of his disease; the public does not know where he is going in the US. Is he paying for the whole shot himself? Is not the Newfoundland medical system capable of helping the Premier?

All I can say from my tower of artificial ivory is this: Good for Him. I love nothing more than taking cheap shots at politicians; anyone from the Prime Minister, to that woman who claims she is our Member of Parliament. But I wish every politician in Canada, whether they are on village councils or on Parliament Hill itself, all the best when it comes to their health and security. (I wish this for everybody of course, but today’s focus is on Mr. Williams.)

The nature of his disease is no one’s damn business except for those that Mr. Williams chooses to share it with. The same for where he is going – why do we the public have this obsession with details that have no relevance to us?

As for the money: Danny Williams is rich – good for him. In fact he donates all of his salary as Premier to charity. I am rich enough, but I would not mind his wealth, but that is just petty envy. So, if he is paying money out of his pocket, then I am glad that he has the ability to do so. And if he can get the Newfoundland Health Care System to pay for a portion of the fees, then he should exercise that right just like any other citizen of the Province. I certainly am in no position to comment on the level of Cardiac Care in Newfoundland and Labrador.

I am rich beyond the dreams of most people on the planet. The starving in sub Saharan Africa would not believe what I throw out in the compost. A mother carrying her child to a clinic in Haiti would be astounded by the medical miracle that I am about to experience. A homeless person would not believe the square feet that my wife and I share with our pets. Someone lacking a family doctor would not believe the competence and compassion of ours. An alcoholic who cannot remember the night before, would not believe that I (for the most part) remember all of my nights before.

Health Care in Canada is a rationed resource. You cannot get what you want, when you want it. So yes, I am frustrated that I did not have my surgery two months ago. It does eat into my quality of life and my quality of time I give to others, most notably my wife’s and my employer’s. And, even thought I am repeatedly told that my risk is low, the Demons of Two A.M. see it another way.

But here is the Gospel Truth: If Danny Williams came to me right now and said this: “My son, I will trade you my first class airplane ticket and my bed at a top dog, top tier, top dollar, USA Hospital for your bed at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute” I would say back: “No thank you sir, but I hope that you have a successful surgery down South”

It is good to know that money cannot buy some things.

No comments:

Post a Comment