Wednesday, February 10, 2010

One of the things that I did last summer, as I started to run (and before all this heart stuff was even detected) was to make a real effort to cut back on my sodium. I banished the salt shaker from the table (my half anyway) and was pretty successful. As a bonus - French Fries without salt taste like potatoes fried in grease – not very tasty, so I had banished fries from my menu repertoire , which will likely fit into my post bypass rĂ©gime well.

But today I stumbled off the wagon. I had to get some work done on my car today and since my wife was dropping me off at the dealer I kindly and generously offered to buy her breakfast at a local fast food chain. They sell these breakfast rolled up tortilla things by the pair – you could buy them singly of course, but the menu had a pair price, and I succumbed, thinking a bit in a self congratulatory way, that I was at least not willing to up the meal to include a deep fried grated potato thing. I did not think for a second I was eating health food, but Mexican, tortilla, peppers, salsa, a bit of egg and crumbled sausage, how bad could it be?

I checked this evening: I consumed at breakfast, 66% - two thirds - of the allowable maximum sodium. Not to mention 74% of my allowable saturated fat! In one meal!!!

Note to Self – There is no short cut to healthy eating. Fast food will always be high in salt and high in fat. Fast food companies though, for all the heat they take, at least publish the nutrition stuff. The Ma and Pa place does not.

And to be Fair - In the spirit of the anonymity of this blog I am not stating where I ate that breakfast. If someone wants to guess that of course is fine. But as a sidebar note of interest, McDonalds does publish a nutritional calculator on line - http://www.mcdonalds.ca/NutritionCalculator/index_en.html. Good for them. As somebody a bit wiser than me once said : And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

No comments:

Post a Comment