Sunday, November 29, 2009

A blog is funny, in that it is a diary or journal that is public. Not that this thing would ever be read by more than a handful of people, but there is a difference in writing stuff and locking it up in a safe, and putting it in a blog.

So, since people are reading this I think at this point I need to provide some justifications and explanations. This whole heart thing is scary, but I find that writing about it makes it less scary and helps me in my thinking. Once a week I have been putting in my interpretations of readings from the Bible. I get immediately nervous when I see anything in writing that quotes scripture (I have a very closed mind).

So, just as an FYI – I do not consider myself a religious person. If there is indeed a heaven and hell – well let’s just say I would not need a parka. My view of God is what I call Source Of All Positive Energy or SOAPE. I have no doubt that this is out there. So I believe in SOAPE and I believe that I am accountable for all of my actions. The rest, I am not smart enough to figure out.

But I fine religious writings fascinating. The story of creation that appears twice in Genesis for example, is not a recounting of history or geology. It is a verbal story that was told for generations in the Middle East , got written down somewhere around the 8th century BCE. It no doubt was changed and edited and finally got to the point where it is read in synagogues and Christian Churches today. And even in 2009 there are so many variances in the English language alone of these writings.

Some people dismiss this story as utter nonsense and others think of it as the only history text that matters. I find both views troubling. When I read the story of the creation I feel a connection of all who have ever heard it, from those at a campfire in Canaan in 1850 BCE, to the person who feels obliged to listen because they have been forced to go to church on a sunny Sunday morning. I think that a text by some process becomes sacred. I certainly don’t understand how or why. Whether it is the Hebrew Scriptures, or the Koran, or the writings of Uddalaka Aruni ,there is a message there for the reader to find.

I happen to be finding my messages in the readings of the Canadian Roman Catholic Church. I am not, for the record, Catholic and I have no comment on the church. But I find the readings very interesting, as I am forced to look for the message that is there for me.

What a long winded explanation!

Jeremiah 33 14-16

A promise to all of Israel that a future leader would emerge from the House of David to rule all the land and bring peace.

Thessalonians 3.12 – 4.2

An instruction from Paul to these Northern Greeks to live a good and moral life..
Luke 21 25-28, 34, 36

Jesus issuing a dire warning of the end of time and how there will be signs in the stars to the trembling and fearful nations. We should not pay attention to earthly things but pay attention to matters of the spirit.


Christians obviously interpret the reading from the Prophet Jeremiah as a foreshadow of the birth of Jesus Christ (this reading occurring on the first Sunday of Advent) . But Jeremiah wrote in one of Israel’s most troubled times, as it was being assaulted by Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonians. This writing by the Prophet would have been of comfort to the Jewish people as it offered a new future hope. And if Christians interpret this as a foreshadowing of the birth of Jesus, so what?

The message to the Thessalonians makes sense (there was a big debate going on about the exact timing of Christ’s return going on at the time, but the message I think here is straight forward enough)

How about the dire warnings of Jesus to look in the stars for the end of time? Is not that crazy talk, or is that end of the world by the Mayan Calendar thing worth worrying about?

I can’t believe that I have written almost 800 words and have not really said anything yet. Finally here is what I heard today: There is always hope, the ultimate destination is good, be a good person and be nice to yourself, others, and the planet. A full belly is pretty imporant but so is a full soul. There are warning signs to all; maybe it is a chest pain, maybe it is a melting glacier but there are warning signs. Woe to those, who choose not to pay attention.

So I wonder how this compares to what someone in Greece would have thought 1900 years ago?

PS: to anyone that has read the whole thing: WOW! I hope that helped your insomnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment