Saturday, November 21, 2009

I wish to use this semi public forum to announce to the world that I am the proud, and trying to be humble, recipient of my first ever medal. Lest any man or woman reading this is of little faith, let me assure you, as I live and breathe, and on the coat-tails of my Source Of All Positive Energy (SOAPE) that I swear that it is a real medal. It is made from shiny metal, engraved, and hangs from my neck.
All medals need a testimonial (refer to Wizard of Oz) and here is mine:My neighbour across the street, Anne, is an Iron Man. Just a few months ago she completed a grueling competition of cycling 112 miles, swimming 2.4 miles, and running 26.2 miles at Lake Placid. As I was struggling to get to a 5K race in Ottawa for December 31st I figured that if she was Iron Man, I was Tin Boy. Anne thought that was funny but she kept encouraging me.
Of course at this point that race is deferred, but Anne still thought me worthy of not only a medal, but a promotion as well, as I went from Tin Boy to Tin Man. (Tin Man, Wizard of Oz, Heart , get it? – this is just for the slow ones, I apologize to the rest of you)
Here is what is engraved on the medal (made, by the way at the local aerospace plant, – if the next time you fly, you see a small chunk of wing missing don’t blame me)

TIN MAN 2009
Ran 5K 2009
TIN MAN YOU WILL RETURN!

That is a medal!!! Now, in the interests of full disclosure, I must say that I did not really run 5K in a fell swoop in 2009, but I think larceny and deceit is a component of many awards, so I prefer to think of myself as a traditionalist.

I would like to thank all the little people who helped me achieve this honour: You are too many too name, but I am sure that you know who you are.
. .

No comments:

Post a Comment