Wednesday, November 25, 2009

For years and years I drove by a restaurant in Ottawa called Coconut Lagoon. It was on St. Laurent Boulevard, not far from Beechwood Cemetery (sorry; Beechwood National Memorial Centre, Beechwood National Memorial Centre, Beechwood National Memorial Centre). What a goofy name for a place! (Cononut Lagoon not Beechwood etc etc) Goofy décor! I knew the menu without having to look at it. Aqua Blue rum drinks with names like Bali and Orleans High! Appetizers like Ultrathick Batter Chicken Balls with Sweet Red Sauce. The mains would be Gilligan’s Grilled Burger with Kraft Peanut Butter Sauce, I Gotta Wash That Man Outta My Angel Hair Spaghetti with Cheese Whiz Sauce, and Deep Fried Thai Fries. A place for rubes and the Conservative Caucus. I could tell all of this in drive bys.

I went there today. What a fantastic find! It seems like South India (being in the south) is warm and has coconut lagoons. In fact the state of Kerala is known for palms and fantastic beaches. National Geographic calls it one of the”50 Places of a Lifetime” The cuisine is incredible – at least it is if today’s lunchtime buffet is a reflection . Lamb Anise, Butter Chicken , Coriander Chicken Masala, Curries, and other things. I love Indian Food but sometimes I could do an Alka Seltzer commercial 90 minutes after indulging. But not here. It is without question one of the top places that I have eaten at in Ottawa. And not an “I Luv Stephen and His Piano” bumper sticker in sight. Just another reason to get well.
I wonder if there is a lesson here?

No comments:

Post a Comment